Wednesday, January 26, 2011

LET ME GET YOU UP TO SPEED!

* Posted on original blog on 10/8/10

As I said earlier, I'm on a mission to cut the "crap" out of my family's diet.  And by diet, I don't just mean food.  I'm working on our financial, enviromental, and physical health all at once.  Why, you ask????? Well, let me clue you in.  In August, I plucked my little girls out of suburbia to start a new chapter in our life.  After my divorce, bills were piling up, the house was way too huge, and my health was in bad shape.  I knew that if I didn't make a change quickly it was going to be bad news for the three of us.  Downsizing was the name of the game.  I immediately found a quaint little two bedroom apartment in a wonderful neighborhood closer to the city, signed the lease, handed over first month's rent and deposit, and moved right in. 

Second step in my game plan was to create the ever dreaded budget!

And so it began.....crunching numbers, evaluating wants vs. needs, and thinking about the future.  It was a real eye opener when I realized how much things were going to change.  Instead of getting discouraged, I look at this as a challenge and a new adventure.  For anyone that knows me, competition is a huge motivator for me. 

Let the games begin!!!!

After pairing down the bills as much  as possible, it was time to face my spending on groceries.  Now.....coming from a culinary background (and being a self proclaimed foodie) I really, really, REALLY, enjoy purchasing quality products and brands when shopping.  And of course, being on a budget does not quite always *almost never* allows for that.  So that's when the wheels started turning and the game went into overdrive!!!!

How much of these pre packaged foods can I make in bulk and from scratch?  Will it be more economical?  And thus the adventure began!

In the next few weeks I will post pictures of some of the yummy goodness that I have already conquered.

Here's a list of what has been made thus far.  ENJOY!

*Whole Wheat Bread
*Chicken Broth
*Chicken Stock
*Bean Soup
*Chili
*Dal
*Italian Chicken Soup
*Spaghetti Sauce
*Italian Meatballs

Here is a list of current projects I am working on:

*Canning Tomato Sauce
*Canning Ketsup
*Another round of Bread
*Pretzel Sticks
*Wheat Thins
*Jam/Jelly

Let me know if you have any requests.

Until next time! 

Bon Apetit!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment